Based on the success of the previous three Summer Academies, we proudly announce the organization of this years SAE Summer Academy on Energy.
The SAE Summer Academy on Energy will be held from 12th to 17th August (+2 Post Academy days), 2018, in Budapest, Hungary.
The main goal of the summer academy is come to know the possible ways of implementation energy storage technologies from user level to transmission system applications.
- Fill in the application form.
- To complete your application, please send the following documents via e-mail to email@example.com. The deadline of sending the enclosements is 3 days after filling in the application form, but no later than 20th April, 2018.
- Passport photocopy
- Cover letter
- Recommendation from a professor of your university
- Pay the 100 EUR deposit. Your registration deposit is part of your registration fee: it is not an additional fee. The deposit confirms your registration. (Payment information in the confirmation e-mail, after filling in the application form.)
The registration has been closed.
Early bird payment
until 8th June, 2018
Regular payment (Full price)
until 6th July, 2018
|Registration fee||350 EUR||400 EUR|
|One optional day fee||50 EUR|
|Both optional days fee||80 EUR|
The registration fee includes:
- Accomodation in shared double room with a same-sex participant for 6 nights (12th-18th August 2018) (Separate room is available for extra 80 EUR.)
- Breakfast and lunch for 5 days, dinner for 3 days
- Coffee breaks
- Public transport ticket for 1 week
- Technical program: lectures, site visits, task
- Social events
- Welcome event
- Gala dinner
One optional day fee includes: (18th August, 2018)
- Accomodation for 1 night (18th-19th August, 2018)
- All day site visit
Both optional days fee includes:
- Accomodation for 2 nights (18th-20th August, 2018)
- All day site visit (18th August, 2018)
- Breakfast and lunch for 2 days
- Sightseeing in Budapest and social event (19th August, 2018)
In case of cancellation the deposit cannot be refunded. Only written cancellations can be accepted.
After paying the registration fee cancellations can be accepted not later than 1st August, 2018. For these cancellations a refund of 70% of the paid fee (excluding the deposit) can be claimed.
For visa information please visit the following site:
In case you need an invitation letter for visa purposes, please contact us at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can apply?
All university and college students can apply from all over the world, including BSc, MSc and PhD students. We warmly welcome students from fields engineering, IT, economics, science and management.
Program, topics include:
The whole week Academy contains not only lectures but site visits and exciting team task in the topic of energy storage. After the technical programs social events are open for the participants where they have the opportunity to discover the terasures of Budapest.
1. Basics of electricity storage – Dr. Bálint HARTMANN (BUTE)
The basic laws of power systems will be presented with the increasing need to store energy and the possible solutions.
2. Regulation of energy storage – Dr. Gábor SZÖRÉNYI (ERRA)
The Winter Package introduced energy storage, thus now the regulators have the instrument to implement the directive. The focus of this lecture is on the European regulatory environment.
3. Large-scale energy storage – Péter LUCZAY (Alteo Ltd.)
A Hungarian utility, Alteo will present its project, which is planned to participate on the frequency regulation market. The lecture will include detailed calculations for technical parameters and costs.
4. Integration of intermittent renewables with energy storage – Dr. István VOKONY (BUTE)
The increasing wind and solar capacities put pressure on the system operators to maintain the power quality. The presentation will show how the problem can be handled with energy storage.
5. Demand side and energy storage – Under request
The lecture will introduce the different residential use of energy storage technologies on the low-voltage power grid.
6. Energy storage for industrial consumers – Under request
Industrial companies’ investment with large consumptions often come with network development. However in many cases energy storage can be cost effective, thus competitive with conventional solutions.
7. Electric cars and renewable energy sources – Dr. Ing Péter MAGYAR (IEEE IAS CMD)
The lecture gives an overview not only about the automotive structure but mainly about the impact of transportation electrification on electrical energy generation and storage systems, taking the increasing use of renewable energy sources into consideration.
8. Battery storage technologies and their potential applications in the power systems – Wei-Jen LEE (IEEE IAS Vice President)The suitability of a storage technology is determined primarily by its power and energy capacity and the rate at which these can be stored and delivered. Other characteristics to consider are round-trip efficiency, cycle life, calendar life, safety, reliability, effect on the environment and ramp rate (how fast the technology can respond to a command).
The main task of the summer academy is to plan a solution to a particular group of problem by using different storage technologies, in addition to certain premisses, justifying technical correction and economic competitiveness.
Beyond the professional development, this event wants to provide an opportunity for students, working on different fields of engineering, to make international contacts with other talented students.
Upon successful completion of the course students are awarded with 2 ECTS credits.
Academy language: English
Schedule (We reserve the right to make changes.)
IAS Chapters and Membership Department